Self Hero Worship

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

"You sharpen the human appetite to the point where it can split atoms with its desire; you build egos the size of cathedrals; fiber-optically connect the world to every eager impulse; grease even the dullest dreams with these dollar-green, gold-plated fantasies, until every human becomes an aspiring emperor, becomes his own god... and where can you go from there?"

-Al Pacino as John Milton in the Devil's Advocate

I love this movie. For one, Al Pacino's my favourite actor ( next to Jack Nicholson and Tommy Lee Jones ). The reason why I like him is how he delivers lines. Lines that will stick to your head and tell your grandchildren about. One of my faves was from Scent of a Woman (""I know exactly where your body is. What I'm looking for is some indication of a brain." ). Cool. Clever. Nice.

(ramble mode on)

I posted this line in my previous blogs before. The reason I did that is because I hated ( and still hate ) people who beef themselves up too much. Is it just me? Or are some people overdoing it? There is such a thing as too much. One pure example of this is what some organizations are doing to their members. Some organizations are saying " We are the best!", "You belong in the company of excellence". I mean, yes, you have won awards. You have been on the top for so long that you have mushrooms growing on your feet while you're up there. But my question is, do you have to rub it so much on ALL of our faces?

I guess some people need that. There was a point in my life when I needed people to tell me how good I was. I needed adulation, I needed admiration. Some people use it as a go-go juice to motivate them in finishing a hard task. Well if you think about it , yeah, it makes sense. Everyone needs some grease now and then. What I really don't like are people who constantly remind themselves that they are the best, even at times when they are obviously not. It somewhat like hypnotizing yourself in believing that no one is above you. You are the greatest, best, most admired person in the world. That everyone is soooooo envious of you just because of the simple, significant fact that you are YOU.

Now tell me....how can you have REAL friends if you can stay REAL to yourself...

(ramble mode off)

blog comments powered by Disqus